Rainy season is almost over, and our best weather and best fishing is waiting for you.
November in Samara Beach has been a complete Dorado fishing season so far! Dorado is also known as the dolphinfish or Mahimahi. Costa Rica is one of the most popular areas for hunting these fish. Our fishing trips have been full of great catches with sunny mornings most of the times. Costa Rican summer is just around the corner.
SOME FACTS ABOUT DORADO FISHING IN GUANACASTE
- Mahi-mahi fishing is above average year-round in Costa Rica.
- The best time to catch Dorado is during rainy season, May through November.
- While they gather on the weed and trash lines closer inshore during rainy season, the bigger Mahimahi are generally farther offshore with the bait and the sailfish during the dry season.
- Inshore: five- to 15 pounders, offshore: up to 50-pound Mahi-mahi
- Theses fish are usually caught three to 30 miles out (trolling lures and ballyhoo with circle hooks).
- In rainy season troll the trash and current lines with lures and ballyhoo and cast light tackle jigs and small lures under logs, nets and larger items floating in the trash and current lines.
- In the summer lots of big mahimahi are caught while fishing for sailfish, usually with a ballyhoo and a circle hook. Live bait and fly also will work. (The Tico Times article)